Friday, July 25, 2008

Solitude

Three friends of mine and I just got back from a four day trip to the middle of nowhere. We drove out Monday morning and came home last night, spending our time camping, resting in the joy of the Lord, and reading the Scriptures. On this trip, we slept on hard ground, went to the bathroom outside behind rocks and under trees, never bathed and rarely changed our clothes. Sounds awful and un-relaxing right?

While I came home with a soar back and greasy hair, I also came home rejuvenated for the next season of ministry. I came home with a new and channeled insight into the Word of God, and I think a more sanctified heart and mind. On this trip, my friends and I studied the book of Nehemiah, as well as the often debated theme of mission and evangelism in the Old Testament. Our findings were profound, but that is a topic for another post.

Solitude is a must for any Christian. The reason why we haven’t learned to connect with Yahweh or study our Bible properly is because we seldom (if ever) get alone with God and seek his face on the Scripture. I don’t mean an hour in your quiet time, I mean for hours in a day or series of days. While on our trip, we studied the word of God for 7-8 hours a day for four strait days. It was invigorating.

God showed me some amazing things on this trip. Not just about Scripture, but about creation and about my own sin. I got real with God and he got real with me, he spoke to me. Plan time to get away to be with the Savior, even if its not in the middle of nowhere like where we went, just get away. Be intentional about your time with God, and he will be intentional with you. This week was another of the many moments where God touched me in a special way and changed my life.

Thank you Father.

No comments: